Today I would like to share with you a recipe that I found on the Japanese cooking app “Kurashiru” which I modified slightly to make it vegan.
This bread only takes 5 minutes to prepare and 15 minutes in the oven for a grand total of 20 minutes! No need to knead, nor to leave it to rise. It’s so fast, it has become a favorite breakfast in my house.
- white flour (薄力粉, Japanese “soft flour” or “cake flour”) 180g
- baking powder 2 tsp
- sugar (I used 三温糖, a kind of light brown sugar) 2 tsp
- salt 1/4 tsp
- soy milk 150ml
- apple cider vinegar 1 Tbsp
- flour (to sprinkle on top) 1 tsp
*Note: The original recipe called for plain yogurt. You could use soy yogurt or any kind of yogurt that you like, but I didn’t have any so I decided to substitute the yogurt with soy milk and apple cider vinegar. This is an easy cooking hack that works for many recipes!
- Preheat your oven to 200°C.
- In a large measuring cup, add the soy milk and then the apple cider vinegar. Stir and let sit for a few minutes. (If using yogurt, you can omit this step.)
- In a large bowl, whisk together your dry ingredients.
- Pour the liquid into the dry and stir with a rubber spatula until a sticky dough is formed.
- Prepare a cooking sheet with some parchment/baking paper (whatever you call it) and transfer the dough to it. It tends to like to spread out, so try to make it more tall than wide to get a nice round shape.
- Sprinkle some flour on top and then use a knife to make two shallow cuts on the top of the bread.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then cut and serve!
This bread reminds me of the biscuits my grandma used to make when I was a child. I like to eat it with jam (my homemade apple jam pictured above), but it’s also good with peanut butter, maple syrup, etc.
I hope you like this vegan quick bread as much as I do! Leave me a comment if you try this recipe and let me know what you think. Happy baking 🙂
To see the original recipe (in Japanese) with a video of all the steps, click here. https://www.kurashiru.com/recipes/8192ab75-d5d5-4059-91e6-0692cf058fe1