Today I want to share with you a super simple vegan recipe! It literally took less than 5 minutes to prepare (plus 20 minutes in the oven). This can also easily be made non-vegan, but I encourage you (even if you are not vegan) to try the vegan version if the ingredients are accessible to you!
Ingredients (2 servings):
- 2 large tomatoes
- 100 grams of soy meat (“mince” type)
- 30-40g of vegan cheese
- salt/pepper/nutmeg as desired
- soy sauce (optional)
The soy meat pictured above is ready to use, so you don’t need to soak it in water or anything. The cheese is made from soy milk and coconut oil and has a very mild flavor.
I used this soy meat and vegan cheese, available at my local Peacock Supermarket in Tokyo, but feel free to use whatever is available to you!
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Cut the “lid” off the tomatoes and hollow out the inside using a spoon.
- Put the insides of the tomatoes in a medium-sized bowl and add the soy meat, cheese, and salt/pepper/nutmeg as desired.
- Spoon the mixture into the tomato bowls. Add additional cheese on top if desired.
- Put the “lid” back on the tomatoes and cook in the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until the tomatoes start to shrivel and the cheese melts.
I served it with a side of brown rice and a cob of corn with dairy-free spread. I put a little soy sauce on it to give it more flavor, but any kind of sauce would work I think (ketchup, barbecue sauce, etc.)
What do you think? Do you want to try this recipe? It is a really quick and easy recipe and you can also add your own flavors to it as you please, so I hope that you try it. If you enjoy it, leave me a comment! Happy cooking 🙂