Life in Japan

Update: New Type of Working Visa for Foreigners in Japan

Last Fall, I wrote a post titled “Japan News: New Type of Working Visa for Foreigners Starting April, 2019” after hearing about the news on the local radio. Since then, a lot of new information has come out. So, today I will be giving an update on this new visa situation!

What New Visa? Designated Skills Visa (including Manual Labor)

The new visa classification is called 特定技能 (tokutei gino – “designated skills”) and allows work from 14 different fields including manual labor.

If you haven’t read my first article explaining what this new visa is all about, you can see it here.

You can also see the Japanese Government’s explanation of this new visa type here:

What is required to get this visa?

This visa requires that you have basic Japanese conversation skills and enough knowledge of Japanese language and culture to survive daily life.

The Japanese government is looking for foreigners who are ready to work and who have sufficient Japanese to work and live in Japan. In order to determine this, they are making a test for each field of work. They have also made a new Japanese Proficiency Test called 国際交流基金日本語基礎テスト (Basic Japanese AKA JFT Basic). However, if you have already completed JLPT N4 or above, you will not need to take the JFT Basic.

When/Where can I take these tests?

So far, the only tests that are currently being administered are for the fields of Caregiving, Hospitality, and Restaurant. The other tests are all still being constructed as of now (June 8, 2019). Additionally, only the Caregiving Test is being offered to applicants outside of Japan, and as of now only in the Philippines. However, this could change at any time so please keep checking back for new updates.

Caregiving Test – The Philippines

(1)Scheduled dates listed on official page:
June 15 (Sat), 16 (Sun), 22 (Sat), 23 (Sun), 24 (Mon)
July 1 (Mon), 2 (Tue), 3 (Wed), 4 (Thu), 8 (Mon), 9 (Tue), 10 (Wed), 11 (Thu)

Prometric Test Center (Ateneo de Manila University)
130 HV Dela Costa St. Salcedo Village, Makati City 1227, Manila, Philippines

(3)Test Fee:
1,500 Philippine Pesos

(4)How to Apply to Take the Test:

You can apply to take both the Caregiving Test and the Japanese Basic Test from here:

Link 1:

Link 2:

Hospitality Test – Japan

Round 1 of the Exam:

Date of Exam:
April 14, 2019 (Sunday)

Place of Exam:
Japan (Sapporo, Sendai, Tokyo, Nagoya, Osaka, Hiroshima, Fukuoka)

Time of Exam:
13:00 Japan Time

Application Period:
March 20, 2019 (Wed) 17:00 – April 3, 2019 (Wed) 15:00

Deadline to Pay Fee by Bank Transfer:
April 4, 2019 (Thursday)

Admission Ticket for Exam is sent to Applicant:
After April 5, 2019 (Friday)

Announcement of Exam Results:
May 25, 2019 (Saturday)

**Round 2 has not yet been announced. Keep an eye on this page for updates:

Restaurant Test – Japan

Round 2 of the Exam:

Date of Exam:
June 24, 2019 (Mon) – Sapporo, Sendai, Okayama
June 27, 2019 (Thu) – Tokyo, Nagoya, Osaka
June 28, 2019 (Fri) – Tokyo, Nagoya, Fukuoka

Paying Fee by Bank Transfer:
After your application is processed, you will receive instructions for bank transfer. Pay it by June 12, 2019.

Admission Ticket for Exam:
Will be sent to the applicant by email after June 13, 2019 (Thu)

Announcement of Exam Results:
The results will be announced towards the end of July on the homepage and by email.

**Keep an eye on this site for updated information about this test:


This has been an update on the information that I could find regarding the new type of working visa in Japan. Although I did my best to find all the information I could, there is still a lack of information that is available at this time, and almost all of it is written in Japanese. I will do my best to write more updated information as it comes out so please keep checking back. I have gotten a lot of comments from people from countries such as India, Nepal, and Pakistan who are hoping to get more information soon. I am sorry that I don’t have any good news for you yet, but I will keep looking so please feel free to bookmark and share this post. Thanks!


I am not an expert and am unable to give any kind of professional advice regarding immigration. If you wish to know specific information regarding your own visa situation, I recommend talking to an immigration lawyer about it.

An American girl writing about living and working in Japan. 日本在住のアメリカ人の女の子のブログ。


メールアドレスが公開されることはありません。 * が付いている欄は必須項目です